Nature and Species Conservations Projects in Costa Rica
Reserva Finca Currè – Stepping Stone in the Biological Corridor Talamanca-Caribe
The existence of Caribbean coastal rain forests is highly threatened. By purchasing 85 hectares of primary forest it was possible to safeguard a valuable connecting link in the biological corridor of Talamanca-Caribe from imminent deforestation.
Monte Alto – Reforestation in the Headwaters of the Rio Nosara
In order to allow livestock farming, extensive areas of species-rich dry forests in the province of Guanacaste were cleared. This has resulted in dry periods, alternating with flooding and soil erosion. In the forest reservation of Monte Alto, the headwaters of the Rio Nosara are being conserved and gradually reforested. The natural vegetation and the water supply can regenerate themselves, and many animal and plant species are returning.
Maquenque – Conservation of the Great Green Macaw (Ara ambiguus)
Poaching, illegal trade, and the destruction of their habitat have forced the Great Green Macaw near extinction. By protecting their breeding grounds and through applied environmental education, these endangered parrots are given a chance to survive.
Reserva Kinkajou – Buffer zone in the Braulio Carrillo National Park
In 2017, Tropica Verde was made aware of the deforestation of primary forest near the town of Horquetas north of San José.
Gandoca – Protection of Endangered Marine Turtles
The beach of Gandoca is one of the most important nesting sites for leatherback turtles (Dermochelys coriacea) worldwide. Surveillance of the nests with the help of volunteers from all over the world made it possible to almost fully prevent theft of eggs from the turtle enclosures. The successful conservation of marine turtles also provides an economic alternative for the local population. Thus, previous poachers have become species conservationists.
What we do
- Conservation of valuable natural habitats by establishing and managing protected areas
- Restoration of ecosystems through reforestation and natural regeneration
- Conservation of biological diversity and endangered species
- Promotion of sustainable use
- Environmental education and increasing public awareness
What is important to us
- Support of selected projects with a sustaining effect
- Long-term cooperation with local partners
- Applied scientific research, monitoring and evaluation
- Quick decision-making process and minimal administrative costs
- Voluntary commitment of members and supporters
- Tropica Verde is a political and confessional independent organisation
WAYS TO HELP:
You would like to support our organization to protect the rainforest with a donation? Use the online form / our bank accounts to transfer or support us at betterplace.com
- GIVE A GIFT!
Gift your loved ones, friends and family a rainforest sponsorship.
- COMPENSATE CO2!
Calculate your flight’s CO2 and compensate through a donation for the conservation of the rainforest.
- BECOME A MEMBER!
Become a member and help decide what future actions we take.
- VOLUNTEER WITH US!
Volunteer for Tropica Verde and support us with your knowledge, talent and time.
- RECOMMEND US!
Tell your friends about us and follow us on social media.